Re: Question about Bug Reporting Tools in Ubuntu, from a design perspective...

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 2:08 AM, ajmctaggart <ajmctaggart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not attempting to revive an old thread of mine, but I recently finished
> exams, and I'd like to put in some effort to get this idea functioning.
>
> Anyone want to help?  I don't really know the governance of how to request
> help for a project when I have no real coding experience myself.

I'm not intimately familiar with the Ayatana project, but I think that
the best way of getting help for a project is to get other developers
excited about it, and to show a willingness to muck in. To do this,
you've got to have a clear expression of the idea (which I think you
have), you've got to find developers and it helps to have some bling.

You can find Launchpad developers on the
launchpad-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list, or on #launchpad-dev
on Freenode. Note that the mailing list and the IRC channel will be
quieter over the Christmas period.

You can find developers of projects that interact with Launchpad at
https://launchpad.net/lpx. Each of these projects use launchpadlib to
interact with Launchpad, and it's possible that some might already be
close to your vision. If you find a project that's close, it's often
easier to work with them rather than to start your own. Of particular
relevance to you are Bughugger -- https://launchpad.net/bughugger --
and Apport -- https://launchpad.net/apport.

Oh, and by "bling", I meant that having a pretty demo can often
inspire people to make the demo real. I'm no expert in that, but tools
like Glade and Balsamiq Mockups might help.

I'm personally very excited about better integration between Launchpad
and the desktop, so I wish you the best of luck. Sadly, I can make no
promise to actually contribute.

Hope this helps,
jml