Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

Op vrijdag 19-03-2010 om 08:53 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Mark
Shuttleworth:
> On 19/03/10 02:36, Jan Claeys wrote:
> >> I'm not sure a typical flasher is a good solution.  I think a
> subtle
> >> animation that triggered every 15 seconds or so might be a better
> >> match for the minimalist approach they are taking.
> >>
> > 15 seconds is a long time in some cases (remember the example of an
> > incoming phone call that was mentioned before).

> Flashing would be an *extreme* case. In fact, anything that urgent
> should be an always-on-top window.

There is no need for a whole window blocking my work, there is a need to
attract attention so that I can respond in time to incoming IM messages.

The current design doesn't work at all for that.  Well, it works
somewhat on my netbook's 9" screen, but on my desktop with a big
high-resolution screen when I'm working in the left part of it, the
indicator in the top right is too far into my peripheral vision to see
the difference between light grey & very light grey.  Any "continuous
movement" (including turning around or flashing) would probably
"trigger" my attention, so that I will look at it.

It should not be *my* task to ask my PC if there are any new messages
waiting, my PC should work for me and tell me when there are new
messages for me (and currently it doesn't).

--
Jan Claeys