Re: Unexpected close functionality

Op dinsdag 27-04-2010 om 12:57 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Shane
Fagan:
> > I think because these particular apps are designed to run in the
> > background and are used often when multitasking, we should keep the
> > close button minimizing to the notification area unless they
> > specifically choose "Quit."
>
> I still dont think that its right to use the close button. Thats why I
> suggested in my last email making another button just to minimise to
> the notification area.

The close button has never meant "close the application".  I mean,
closing gnome-panel because you click on the close-button of the window
that you get with Alt+F2 would be completely crazy, right?  ;)

It also doesn't do that in Firefox or OOo (unless you close the last
window).  It doesn't do that for windows that are launched by panel
applets etc. either.  There are lots of examples like that

Something that would be useful is an "animation" that makes it clear
that the closed window belongs to a background-application that will
give feedback in the indicator area.

Most applications will also need a way to start without a window
(especially when launched at startup, but maybe also otherwise), but I
agree that that shouldn't be the default.

--
Jan Claeys