Re: Restart Required

On 1 September 2010 17:56, Walter Wittel <wittelw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think for people using the command line this is nice but not required
> because a list of packages is there for them to see. I think advance
> notification for the GUI would be much more appreciated as those users are
> less likely to know a kernel update == reboot.

As I've mentioned before on this list, I'm not sure that it's a good
idea to warn people before an update "this update will require a
restart to complete" as they may be led to believe that the restart
will be required *immediately* after the update. In fact the restart
is only required to actually start using the new version of the kernel
(for example).

I think a warning that "this update will require a restart" will put
some people off running the upgrade, especially if they are in the
middle of working on something, and is likely to lead to updates not
being applied for longer by some people, while offering no real
benefits to anyone.

The exception to this is Firefox, but I believe there is already some
discussion going on about solving the issue of firefox requiring a
restart right after an upgrade.

--
Matt Wheeler
m@xxxxxxxxxxxx