Re: Restart Required

Hi Matt,

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 19:02, Matt Wheeler <m@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think a warning that "this update will require a restart" will put
> some people off running the upgrade, especially if they are in the
> middle of working on something, and is likely to lead to updates not
> being applied for longer by some people, while offering no real
> benefits to anyone.

the current situation is, that both warning and NOT warning the user are
being practised.
This sends the user a mixed message:
first, upgrades / updates are afforded to the user, no warning whatsoever..
..shortly before the updating/upgrading is complete, the user is warned,
that a restart is required.

The problem with naming an action that is a menu item "Restart Required" is,
that it is an informative phrase and not an action. The menu item should
carry the wording that describes the action it invokes, not a description of
its use case.

The red coloring of the power icon on top of the Session Menu represents the
warning, where previously in the process the software was designed NOT to
issue any warning about the state "Restart Required".
Mixed messages confuse the user and wrong labels on menu items or buttons
make it difficult to control the system altogether.