Re: Fwd: Re: Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)

 2011/5/23 Ed Lin <edlin280@xxxxxxxxx>
> This would give us a very consistent and structured layout. The
> launcher would consist of icons all having the same size (including
> the BFB) and the context- menu/dash/lenses  would all follow the same
> theme and design.

That's exactly the problem I tried to address. I wanted the new area to not
look like another launcher. I personally dislike all launcher's which I
haven't put there myself. I think they are taking up way too much space and
I don't want to shrink the scale of the launcher either for aesthetic
reasons. My suggestion would too be consistent theme-wise since it would
frame the launcher with the dash button at the top and some quick access
information buttons at the bottom. (Still my design doesn't solve any real
problems, it's just a rough sketch)

> Altogether four icons which I think would leave room enough for app
> icons on smaller screens.

Do you really think that? Four launchers are in my view a lot of extra
launchers. What I tried to achieve with my design was that it shouldn't take
up more space than 2 launchers, and it only took up roughly 1.5.

How are you thinking concerning the indicator's which only interface is
often a drop down menu and only supporting a 16x16 pixels (roughly) sized
icon? How would that go well into a lens? We can't force developers to
create Ubuntu specific panel indicators instead of Gnome as they always have
done.

> It's too cramped, the targets are too small and the major problem is
> the shutdown button, it's not on the screen edge.

They aren't smaller then they are today in the top panel, it's the same
size. And why is it such a problem that the shutdown button isn't in the
corner? I mean it's not close to being the most used panel indicator, you
only use it when you want to shutdown and not during a session on which you
use the others much more frequently.