Re: Fwd: Re: Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)

Why can't we let the top panel stay and hold the indicators?

1. Panels/notification bars are used in *every* major OS (Windows's is odd
at the bottom), from desktops like Ubuntu and OS X to mobile platforms like
Android and iOS. It's a very familiar paradigm that people are comfortable
working with.

2. The panel can hold lots of functionality (Title bar, notifications, BFB,
Menu) at a low cost to screen real-estate (~24px, I think)

3. Removing it requires integrating the indicators with the launcher, which
is not what either of them were designed for.