Re: Fwd: Re: Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)

Disregarding the design for a moment, isn't the underlying problem that the
interface is supposed to support a wide range of vertical resolutions, but
doesn't?

I also have a 1920x1080 screen and I think want this layout badly, but I
also see your points on this being a mess on a smaller screen. Conversely,
if it was made to fit tablets or low-res screens it'd look diminutive on a
big screen.

A quick mind-fart: how about making Unity detect vertical resolution and
adjust dock-width accordingly on first run? It could even out the extremes
and make it easier to make the interface appear alike across different
resolutions; then again it the discussion would be between lowres-people
having their launchers too small and hires-people having their launchers too
big.