Re: Unity2D -- wow! (And hidden window buttons)

2011/8/28 Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx>

> Den 28. aug. 2011 15:07, skrev André Oliva:
>
>  And I also think that Unity shell has to be as simple as possible for the
>> end user. Unfortunately we can not force to all the users to read a manual
>> before using an interface, except when the user is totally new to computers.
>>

> Well, in this case, there is absolutely no need to read a manual.
> The buttons are always visible when you need them and they are
> very discoverable. They should be made visible when you use the
> indicators though. Most people are very used to tools being hidden
> when not in use. Consider a wrist watch, for instance. When
> you're not looking at it, it's often covered by a shirt or a jacket.
> When you need to look at it, then it is exposed. No problem.
>
> That's a very weird definition of 'discoverable'. Let me turn it around to
you: why is the powercog icon on the top-right always visible, cluttering
the workspace? The user always knows it's there (if he doesn't, he just
needs to mouse over once and then he'll learn it) and the icon can appear
dynamically on mouse over - when he *actually* needs it. Using your line of
thought, the powercog and the user menu do not need to be shown by default -
they don't offer any new information, they are always in the same place and
the user can always reach them if he needs them.

Why are they shown but the window buttons not? Wouldn't it be better if the
application name took up the whole panel, especially on smaller screens
where the indicator icons get in the way and cut it short? These icons can
always be shown when the user needs them, so why not?