Customization Management

On 11/13/2011 10:54 PM, Josh Strawbridge wrote:
what if the button was just a temporary swap and there was another one
to swap their customization back to their previous settings?
even if there wasn't a second button i'd be ok with it since i know how
to swap my stuff back and i'm not going to bother calling tech support
unless something is horribly wrong and i've exhausted my other options.
at which point i'd be happy to revert my customizations back to the
default for the time being in order to help make communication easier.

I've been thinking that installing a distribution should be a bit like a checkout from a VCS. At any time, it should be straightforward to get a diff, that is a list of the changes you did to the system.

Such a diff view would ideally not only allow simple rollbacks, but also selective enabling/disabling of changes. Which would require dependency management, pre-/post-conditions.

Collections of changes should be exportable, as a kind of portable modifications, Software packages could be expressed within this system.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/