Re: drag to launcher - "raise" or "pop-out"?

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 21:48, Ian Santopietro <isantop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I'm dragging an MP3 file (or set of MP3 files) into, e.g. Totem, what
> exactly can I do with them? Regardless of where I drop them on the window,
> it will play them, which only differs from "Open" in labeling. Why should
> the launcher icon be any different?

First of all, the launcher icon should indicate what it intends to do with
the object i'm about to drop onto it. At the moment it doesn't even
indicate that it's a player, theres only the visual metaphor that stands
for "movie scene". So how does the user know what dropping the object onto
the icon will do?

It is not correct, that dropping a file anywhere in the Totem window will
have the same effect. If you drop a file onto Totem's playlist show/hide
button, it is appended to the current playlist without interrupting the
current song. For rhythmbox and banshee-like apps i can imagine some other
"applications" too, e.g. add to library, play after current, add to
playlist or edit properties.