Re: Unity improvement for vision loss people

This seems more like a theme question then, rather than a UI one. A
custom theme is better suited to solving the issue in your particular
case.

Removing all but one color from an icon by default is a bad idea,
unless the icon is supposed to be that way. Even these exceptions
should be kept to a minimum. The issue that arises is that there are
two main characteristics people use when quickly identifying an icon:
color and shape. If we make all the icons one color, then this
distinction is lost, and we must rely on shape alone, which isn't idea
for many people. This is the exact inverse of a theme like faenza,
where all the icons are the same shape (you lose the differences in
shape, then you only have color left).

I will admit that monochrome icon sets have their artistic merits, but
functionally, they're a nightmare. Form is nice, but not at the sake
of function.

Besides, the only other major OS that uses Monochrome app icons is
Windows Phone 7, and it's not particularly popular with consumers.

--
Ian Santopietro

"Eala Earendel enlga beorohtast
 Ofer middangeard monnum sended"