Re: No more dodge windows in Unity?

On 02/08/2012 02:03 PM, Petko wrote:
Here I see no reason to remove the options , since even if someone
doesn't understand an entry in the list - they just won't use it , if
they've got to the list once , they can do it again ,it's not a change
that breaks their system.

One (quite generally applicable) reason has been given: Removing the code-path to ease maintenance and testing.

Every single option listed does cause cognitive load once a user actually perceives it. Choice paralysis becomes more likely with each additional item. You might argue this does not apply for lists of 3 or 4 items. To that I say the effect doesn't suddenly come into existance at some threshold, it's a gradual thing.

Options that are not immediately clear but have to be tried are especially costly.

Consider the lenght of explanation required for the 3 options (always-visible, always-hide, dodge). The dodge behavior requires a significantly more complex mental model and introduces modality.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/