Re: No more dodge windows in Unity?

On 02/08/2012 03:22 PM, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
On 02/08/2012 02:03 PM, Petko wrote:
Here I see no reason to remove the options , since even if someone
doesn't understand an entry in the list - they just won't use it , if
they've got to the list once , they can do it again ,it's not a change
that breaks their system.

One (quite generally applicable) reason has been given: Removing the
code-path to ease maintenance and testing.
I just can't believe that this exact option has caused much problems :?

Every single option listed does cause cognitive load once a user
actually perceives it.
Agreed .
Choice paralysis becomes more likely with each additional item.
Also agreed in general.
You might argue this does not apply for lists of 3 or 4 items.
I would.
To that I say the effect doesn't suddenly come into existance at some
threshold, it's a gradual thing.

Well yes , and therefore since we have integers I'd say 2 is too little , 3 is ok (thow I find it insufficient) , 4 may be too much (let's say I agree it can be too much of a load) .
Options that are not immediately clear but have to be tried are
especially costly.
Yes but you have to agree "Dodge windows" is pretty clarifying . It may not be instantly clear , but it's pretty damn close .

Consider the lenght of explanation required for the 3 options
(always-visible, always-hide, dodge). The dodge behavior requires a
significantly more complex mental model and introduces modality.
Now I'd say "keep it real" . I put a lot of thought into mental models , thought patterns etc. ( I'm developing an AI project) , but you have to be careful to which scope you apply the theory . To try to predict how the "Dodge" list item will project in the users' mind is a bit of a push . Again - just keep it real , try to impersonate the user , not overstudy him . I'm pretty sure this is the kind of situation that if you're still not convinced a third option won't harm - testing is in order (to have proof ).

PS:forgot to add ayatana again , sry for the resend

Petko