Re: Are there plans to add "Reboot" item to the power-cog menu in panel?

My mom has left quite a few times the computer on. She just thinks it started the shutdown process and shuts down the monitor.

My dad did the same a few times, shut down the monitor and walked away. But i took the time to teach him so he doesn't do it very often now.

They think of the computer like an appliance, they want it to shutdown when they hit shutdown (or at least start the process and finish it off automatically.). So the 60 second auto-shutdown seems reasonable, it would work for them.

Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:23:20 -0300
From: marcobiscaro2112@xxxxxxxxx
To: mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Unity-design] Are there plans to add "Reboot" item to the power-cog menu in panel?

2012/2/28 Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The shutdown and logout dialogs (and the restart dialog, when it was

separate) used to have a 60-second countdown. We dropped it because it

is wrong to assume that the computer will shut down or log out by

itself once the countdown reaches zero.
Isn't right to assume that the computer will shutdown when I choose "Shutdown" in the power menu? Currently this doesn't happen. Mark stated that the confirmation dialog is a way to undo a possibly unwanted action. Isn't reasonable to shutdown the computer if I don't undo the action before a given timeout?

 After all, the countdown might

immediately be followed by one or more alert boxes of the form "Save

changes to “Untitled” before closing?" -- alert boxes which are not,

and cannot safely be, subject to the same kind of countdown.

This is a corner case, I think. At least, in my workplace, people save everything, close programs and then choose shutdown.

But the only way

to be sure that an Ubuntu, Mac, or Windows PC will log out or shut

down safely is to wait a few seconds to answer any questions it asks

after you choose that command.
Sure, but I still think the shutdown (and logout) experience could be improved with the countdown thing.