Re: Are there plans to add "Reboot" item to the power-cog menu in panel?

On 02/29/2012 07:06 AM, Alan Bell wrote:
On 28/02/12 18:54, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
The shutdown and logout dialogs (and the restart dialog, when it was
separate) used to have a 60-second countdown. We dropped it because it
is wrong to assume that the computer will shut down or log out by
itself once the countdown reaches zero. After all, the countdown might
immediately be followed by one or more alert boxes of the form "Save
changes to “Untitled” before closing?" -- alert boxes which are not,
and cannot safely be, subject to the same kind of countdown.

The story of nick rundy's parents is an awkward one. But the only way
to be sure that an Ubuntu, Mac, or Windows PC will log out or shut
down safely is to wait a few seconds to answer any questions it asks
after you choose that command. Developing and universally adopting a
standard auto-save API, so that users never need to save documents
manually, might solve much of that problem. Changing the design of the
shutdown dialog would not.
the use case that I have is a laptop where I shut the lid, put it in a bag and get off the train. I don't want any applications trying to negotiate with me about whether suspending or shutting down is a good idea or not. I shut the lid, my decision is final, it is going down. There isn't much that will block a suspend these days (transmission did, not sure it does any more) but I do think the lid switch state could be used to implement a completely non-negotiable suspend action.

Alan.

What Windows does (XP/Vista/7/8 Consumer Preview) is immediately start shutting down after you choose that option. When I want my computer to shut down, I do not want my computer to try to negotiate something different (confirmation dialog), I just want it to shut down. I don't know how someone could accidentally choose the shutdown option when they did not want that to happen, and after all, before finally shutting down, Ubuntu waits until all applications can shut down (Libreoffice is one that displays a message asking if you want to save changes or not, which is very helpful), then shuts down. I do not think we need the confirmation window to open UNLESS there are applications running which require a further user interaction to close, like LibreOffice and Transmission, I know there are others too, which require user interaction in some cases. Thanks!!!

---Ryan

"For all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God" - Romans 3:23