Re: [Webapps] web apps and the launcher [was: webapps and the sound menu]

Alex Launi wrote on 16/01/13 15:39:

> On Jan 16, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 16 January 2013 15:26, Alex Launi <alex.launi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> So all web apps are listed in the dash,

Of course. Otherwise you couldn't really call them apps, could you?

>>> or messaging menu by default?

No, *and* the messaging menu if they're messaging applications that
you have configured for use (e.g. set up an account with).
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MessagingMenu#integration>

>>> I suppose dash makes sense a la installable apps. Do you
>>> expect users will be retrained to think "open dash type
>>> Facebook" rather than "open browser goto Facebook.com"?

Sure, because that's what they've been doing with the Facebook app on
their phone for years. If they can't understand that, this whole Web
apps project probably isn't a good use of time. :-)

> No I agree this should be possible- my question that initiated
> this line of discussion was "how are they accessed the first time".
> MPT Said from the launcher or sound menu. Although I'm realizing
> now that (maybe) I misunderstood what you meant, MPT. Could you
> please give a little description of the user journey that arrives
> with a web app launcher icon on the launcher?

When you install a local application, it:
(a) is present in the Dash until it's uninstalled
(b) is present in the messaging menu if/when it's set up for messaging
(c) is present in the sound menu if it's a music player
(d) is added to the Launcher by default, but removable
(e) does not appear temporarily in the Launcher when you visit its
    Web site.

I expect simply that Web apps should behave in the same five ways.

- --
mpt