Re: LOG_DEBUG output and System Indicators?

On 15-07-29 05:34 AM, Mohsen Ibrahim wrote:

>> I would normally expect the stdout and stderr of Unity to redirected to $HOME/.cache/upstart/unity7.log
> I found this file but it does not include any of the LOG_DEBUG messages.
> If no body can help in finding where does unity stdout go, I will try to make the logging go to a file by modifying nux
> source code, this should be my last option.

That file is where stdout and stderr from Unity go when started normally.  I do not tell you an untruth.

If you are not seeing debug output in that file (or gnome-session-Unity.log* on older systems), it is because you are
not setting the LOG_DEBUG environment variable in a place it gets picked up by the system, or else you are not starting
Unity in a normal way.

If you want to propagate special environmental settings to the normal Unity as run by the session, you will need to copy
/usr/share/upstart/sessions/unity7.conf to $HOME/.config/upstart and modify it to export LOG_DEBUG (conversely,
depending on the version of Ubuntu you are running, you may have to do this for
/usr/share/upstart/sessions/gnome-session.conf instead).

If you are simply starting Unity from the command line, stdout and stderr are dup()ed to the shell output streams in the
normal and time-honoured way.

If you are starting Unity some other way, you're on your own.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>