Re: Sign convention contact laws

> > I would love to use local system, but I don't see a way to define it.
> > What about lattice beam elements that have non-circular section and
> > such?
> Define the principal axis of the section in the global coordinates and
> project the displacement on them? It should not be a problem, and can be
> done in the constitutive law (principal axis are constitutive parameters
> of the beam).
Defining an initial orientation is not difficult, but how do you account
for arbitrary rotation of the contact due to motion of particles? The
problem is actually how to define the orientation consistently: contact
only defines normal (and shear plane), but not orientation of that
plane.

(I am not sure that we are talking about the same issue here)