Re: TranslationEngine Vs JumpChangeSe3

I was only testing a contact law forcing displacements, but now I realize that the best way to check that is actually applying a force (constant or variable in time) or an initial velocity (in the way you suggest).
Ok. For this problem, I would simply block DOF's and assign constant velocities (i.e. impose displacement, not just initial velocity). Of course, the contact law must give correct results whatever the boundary conditions. So, there is nothing wrong in applying a force, the only problem is it gives less predictable results (since it is dynamic).