Re: Port to Qt

I have no plans to make the application public because it is not in a sufficiently good state at present. This is partly because I decided to move it to Python3 and Qt5 and that version is still in the early stages due to lack of time. I don't want to start a discussion of an application which isn't Zim on a Zim forum. I just wanted to point out that in my view switching to Qt is not necessarily easy and if you want to do that it is probably best to use the design ideas of Zim to build a new application rather than base it on existing code.

I have not considered using the application on a phone or laptop because the design is aimed at a desktop. I don't think it would work on a small format screen without some significant re-design.

As Zim aims to be a Python application it might be worth looking at the Whoosh library to provide Python-based full-text indexing. I found it fairly easy to add to my application. Searching data is provided by special formatting of text in the notebook page, for example you can search by place, date, description etc..

I use the application to build up information about historical photographs by creating a notebook page; adding the photograph; creating notes to describe the content, origin etc.; assigning keywords; copying relevant information and links from the Internet. The long-term aim is to have a read-only version that can be used in kiosk mode. A read-only version would be the most likely target for a phone or tablet version, in which case I would serve the pages as web-pages using HTML5.

Bill