bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: Nautilus Bug 731481

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:27:35AM -0700, Joe Areeda wrote:
> This is the bug report: Bug #731481
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/731481>
>
> I still can't duplicate this symptom.  I tried my working Maverick
> system and Natty in a VM.
>
> Normally with a bug this minor, I'd probably just leave it with a
> "works-for-me" comment on the bug report.  But this is a training
> exercise so I'm digging deeper and boring all of you with my every move.

Great!

> I found ubuntu-bug --save <file> nautilus  puts all the information that
> would be in a bug report in a file for examination.  Extracting the
> relevant sections (usr_lib_nautilus and GConfNonDefault) and running a
> diff against the attached is a pretty efficient way to see the
> differences between the system used to report the bug and the one I'm
> using for testing.

That makes a lot of sense, good work.

> Some interesting things about the usr-lib list.
>
>     I'm getting multiple hits (3) for ubuntuone-client-gnome
>     1.4.6-0ubuntu2 on my system and for deja-dup 16.1.1-0ubuntu1 (3) and
>     nautilus-actions 2.30.2-1 (2) on the reporting.  Seems odd and
>     warrants further investigation.
>
>     There are 3 packages on the reporter's system that i don't have
>     installed:
>
>     deja-dup 16.1.1-0ubuntu1
>     nautilus-actions 2.30.2-1
>     tracker-gui 0.8.17-0ubuntu1
>
>     I don't know if they have anything to do with the reported but (yet)
>     but I wonder how to deal with them.  I don't think it's a good long
>     term strategy to load every package from each bug report I examine
>     on my system.  This seems another reason to do use VM or test
>     hardware.  I guess I can try to resurrect an older system for that
>     purpose.

I've installed lots of applications when dealing with bug reports and
while my menus are cluttered it has worked out okay.  However, now I do
try to use virtual machines for testing of applications I don't already
have installed.

> In the configuration part (GConfNonDefault.txt)
>
>     He has "/apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_location_entry=true"
>     I can't find that setting in preferences or on any of my menus.

Some settings are not exposed via menu entries and could be modified
using gconf-editor.

>     The other differences seem pretty minor (we ignore different autorun
>     content, have a different sidebar...)  I wonder if it's worth the
>     effort to try to match it all?

The information we have so far leads me to believe that it doesn't
affect most people so we could set, or have someone set, the importance
of the bug task to low.  However, installing the missing packages would
be a good test.

> Is there a reason why usr-libs shows duplicates?  Is that innocuous or
> should I investigate further?

This is likely a bug in apport or the nautilus package hook but
shouldn't be relevant to the nautilus bug.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master