Re: Cuneiform Linux 0.5 is released (VS2005)

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS just shuts the compiler up and tells him to
> ignore the fact that standard functions are used (both POSIX and
> "unsecure" standard functions).
>
> _CRT_SECURE_CPP_OVERLOAD_STANDARD_NAMES says to that the compiler should
> overload standard functions with "secure" ones when possible and only
> issue a warning when this couldn't be done automagically w/o human.
>
> _CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE basically means that MSVC is not going to
> issue deprecated warnings for POSIX functions which are not in the ISO
> standard whenever they are used in the source code (which means that
> blah() should be normally replaced with standard _blah() functions to
> fix the warning).

I tried this, but I just get tons of warnings such as these:

..\..\..\workspace\cuneiform\cuneiform_src\Kern\windummy.c(584) :
warning C4996: 'open': This function or variable may be unsafe.
Consider using _sopen_s instead. To disable deprecation, use
_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\include\io.h(316) : see declaration of 'open'
..\..\..\workspace\cuneiform\cuneiform_src\Kern\windummy.c(650) :
warning C4996: 'strcat': This function or variable may be unsafe.
Consider using strcat_s instead. To disable deprecation, use
_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\include\string.h(79) : see declaration of 'strcat'

If these can be removed with some preprocessor define, then I will
apply that patch. But for now I'll keep the original form to cut down
on compiler noise.