Re: Define week start day for Weekly periods

Hello Johannes,

the way we handle time period aggregation is simple: When aggregating in
the time dimension, we include all periods which start dates fall within
the aggregation period. As an example, when aggregating monthly data to a
quarterly aggregate, we include all months which start dates fall within
that quarter. This usually works well but is admittedly not ideal for
weeks, where you might want more specialized rules for determining whether
a week falls within a "longer" period or not.

At the moment, the design of our period solution allows only for fixed
period types, in the sense that you can select from a predefined lists of
period types; you cannot select "weekly" and then start day of week.

It seems you have two requirements. i) Displaying correct Cambodian weekly
start/end dates in data entry and ii) have the time period aggregation work
correctly in terms of which weeks get included in aggregation periods.
Correct?

I think we have two options here. The first is to allow more flexibility in
terms of period starting days and which day of week determines which year a
week falls within. This would require a bit development work. The second is
to implement more predefined period types, ie. "Weekly (Wednesday)". The
issue with this is that we might end up with 7 different weekly period
types. Anyone knows how many types of weeks there are out there?

regards,