Re: installation of DOLFIN 0.5.7 on Debian

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:44:47PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Faheem Mitha wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Anders Logg wrote:
>
> >>Look through the PETSc makefile and
> >>see if you find the target "getincludedirs".
> >>
> >>In my petsc-2.2.1/makefile:
> >>
> >>   include ${PETSC_DIR}/bmake/common/base
> >
> >Yes, it's there.
>
> Just to clarify, this is in the sources, but not in the installed library.
> You weren't expecting it to be there, were you?

Yes, I was. DOLFIN needs to figure out where to find PETSc and it then
uses the getincludedirs flag with make to get the correct flags.

If possible, I would rather do a 'make install' in PETSc like with any
other library (without needing to set PETSC_DIR to something special),
but then I don't know how to get compiler flags and link libraries
correctly. It would be nice to have a petsc-config script (like
gtk-config, xml2-config, dolfin-config, etc) that spits out the flags.

If someone has any better suggestions for how to compile against PETSc,
please send me a patch. Only the the PETSc specific part in
configure.ac for DOLFIN would have to change.  (If you edit this file,
then run ./scripts/preconfigure and then ./configure.)

/Anders