Re: installation of DOLFIN 0.5.7 on Debian

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Faheem Mitha wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Faheem Mitha wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Anders Logg wrote:

Look through the PETSc makefile and
see if you find the target "getincludedirs".

In my petsc-2.2.1/makefile:

   include ${PETSC_DIR}/bmake/common/base

Yes, it's there.

Just to clarify, this is in the sources, but not in the installed library. You weren't expecting it to be there, were you?

If you were trying to source this or something, this would account for the different behaviour between the in-place compilation and the installed library.

Having taken another look at earlier messages, particularly your request to run

make -s -C $PETSC_DIR getincludedirs PETSC_DIR=$PETSC_DIR

I conclude that indeed you are expecting to find a makefile (presumably the top-level PETSc makefile) at the top level of $PETSC_DIR and executing the target 'getincludedirs' from that makefile. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

This will not work, since the makefile is part of the sources, and is not installed in the library.

Recall that on 1st July (Message-ID: <20050701194739.GC1172@galerkin>), we had this exchange

Yes, but does PETSc require the sources in order to compile, or just the
static/shared libraries + headers?

You mean if DOLFIN needs the PETSc sources? No, it shouldn't. But
you will need the sources for PETSc to compile PETSc.

                                                                  Faheem.