Re: "I'm Quitting": we both overreacted

Ok guys,

I just peaked into my inbox and saw this whole rant about this pop up
again, so please guys, cool down.

Now to you Sergey, I realize you are very passionate about what you do, but
sometimes you are too passionate about it as well. Cool down, don't treaten
with you leaving before having a open discussion with everyone, not just
one person(in this case Dan). Because that surely pissed off the whole
council, multiple times by now, but I'm sure you are aware of that. And
actually that's a good thing, if you start to rant about something, we
really got to take care of it, we know that, and you leaving helps no one
in that situation.

I did actually read your funding document back in the day when you shared
it with us, and yes I did not reply, which maybe was a mistake.
I can tell you that 4 of the 7 techniques you are listing there are fully
underway, and have been even since before we got our rebranding by Ian Hex,
we already compiled Lists of what we want to have in our Store that will be
in the new Site when Luna launches, we plan on doing a Kickstarter(with a
surprise for all of you, I'm not going to tell it right now because we
decided to keep it a secret, sorry), when we actually have something to
give to people.
We did give all of this a lot of thought and actually dedicated quite some
council meetings to this, and when we have a final solution, or call it
concept, that we really want to pursue, we'll surely let you know.

That website design you are totally raging about is a start, we didn't even
make it to the backend of that, it is a mere design, nothing else right now.

But we think it's the way to go, it's a experiment for sure, but it's one
worth taking. If you didn't want to take the leap of faith from time to
time you wouldn't be with the elementary team to be totally honest here.

So I read your new document on the matter now Sergey, and I got to say,
nice arguments.
My opinion on this is Why not go with both? You hugely back the Free but
donate then model, but to be honest it didn't bring much money into our
bags, people even kept asking where to donate, even though it was right on
the Front page. The pay what you want Model will be a great fit for this
project, if you believe it or not, people are willing to pay for good
software, no matter if before or after, we should consider making the
experience to do so the main problem of this discussion, not the when.
We as a Open Source project also have a responsibility to teach people that
creating software takes time and costs money, a pay what you want model
perfectly captures this, we would actually explain the person what exactly
happens to that money, not only take the cash and say goodbye ;)

I hope this email still makes sense, as I deleted wrote deleted as the
discussion changed ;)