Re: Moving Away From Ubuntu

This is the thread I was referring to where he was discussing bugs and how
XMir is a poor approach for an entire desktop:
https://plus.sandbox.google.com/115606635748721265446/posts/jdbSVidJyWH

My syncing comment was just referring to the fact that as XMir simply
houses an X server and directs its output to a surface, and so provides
none of the tear-free advantages that Wayland (and ultimately Mir) were
designed for.

The comments on that G+ thread are particularly interesting, and it's worth
noting that XWayland (which is comparable to XMir) is not even being
considered for a full desktop, not even as a stop gap. It exists to support
individual legacy X applications on Wayland only... because it's way too
flakey, buggy and performance hitting to run such a compatibility layer for
your desktop.