Re: Append board in pcbnew

Moses O McKnight escreveu:
>> These questions are not clear:
>>
>> 1) if both boards have perimeters, which board's perimeter is retained?
>>
> I would think the page settings of the current board would be retained,
> but the perimeter of each board would be retained as it currently is (if
> by perimeter you mean Edges_Pcb).

IMHO, once you do such an operation, the "concept of perimiter is lost.
What may me retained is *only* the grapjical representation of the board
so that it may appear corrctly in any gerber where it could be used.

>> 2) if both boards are located in the same position before the merge, how
>> is one supposed to arrange them into separate areas of the merged-board
>> since it seems impossible to select only a single board if they are
>> overlapped?
>>
> I first moved the current board out of the way and then imported the new
> board. One thought I had is to load the board into a separate board
> object which would be an object on the main board and could be selected
> and moved as a whole. I don't know how hard that would be to implement
> though.

That is an interesting possibility. There is another one: The imported
board is "selected" and and in a state of "block move" so that it
becomes easy to place anywhere. I believe that this can also be easy to
implement :)

>> 3) Should not a pre-load coordinate offset be adhered to so that the 2nd
>> board can be loaded directly to a new position?
>>
> Good idea.

If you are willing ( :) ) you can even have some kind of panelyzing,
(loke Corel) with offset on both axis... (just an idea)

>> 4) what about duplicate component names, duplicate net names? How is
>> one supposed to search for these components after the merge if there is
>> possibly more than one of them?
>>

> Either rename the nets and components on the appended board, or create a
> new board object as I mentioned above.
>

>> 5) what is to be done if there are a different number of layers in the
>> two boards, abort the merge?
>>
> Offhand I would say abort the merge, because I don't believe you could
> panelize boards with different numbers of of layers anyhow. Alternately
> maybe we could pop up a message box warning the user and asking what to
> do.

I would take a simplistic, more general aproach: just import it as is,
if it makes sense to the user, let it be...
>> 6) should it still be possible to reload the netlist of either board
>> after the merge?
>>
> If the new board is loaded as a new board object, then reloading the
> netlist for each board independently should not be a problem. If that
> is too much of a problem then I would say it should not be possible to
> reload the netlist after appending a board.

I understand that this is an "undefined operatio, your milage may vary"
wich probably means that it will produce nonsense. There is noting that
can be done it you have more than one component with the same name...
>> Sorry, I tried to help but my original email was not responded to in
>> sufficient detail. Perhaps someone who has a use for this feature can
>> do the work.

BTW, could you explain just in simple words, how you cope with the
multiplr name problem?.

I hope that another opinion just helps mor than confises the matter ;)
Alain

 --------------080903080802020401030001 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Moses O McKnight escreveu:
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">These questions are not clear:

1) if both boards have perimeters, which board's perimeter is retained?
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->I would think the page settings of the current board would be retained,
but the perimeter of each board would be retained as it currently is (if
by perimeter you mean Edges_Pcb).
</pre>
<tt>IMHO, once you do such an operation, the "concept of perimiter is
lost. What may me retained is *only* the grapjical representation of
the board so that it may appear corrctly in any gerber where it could
be used.<br>
</tt><br>
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">2) if both boards are located in the same position before the merge, how
<pre wrap=""><!---->I first moved the current board out of the way and then imported the new
board. One thought I had is to load the board into a separate board
object which would be an object on the main board and could be selected
and moved as a whole. I don't know how hard that would be to implement
though.
</pre>
<tt>That is an interesting possibility. There is another one: The
imported board is "selected" and and in a state of "block move" so that
it becomes easy to place anywhere. I believe that this can also be easy
to implement :)<br>
</tt><br>
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">3) Should not a pre-load coordinate offset be adhered to so that the 2nd
board can be loaded directly to a new position?
</pre>
<pre wrap="">
Good idea.
</pre>
<tt>If you are willing ( :) ) you can even have some kind of
panelyzing, (loke Corel) with offset on both axis... (just an idea)<br>
</tt><br>
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">
</pre>
<pre wrap="">4) what about duplicate component names, duplicate net names? How is
one supposed to search for these components after the merge if there is
possibly more than one of them?
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
Either rename the nets and components on the appended board, or create a
new board object as I mentioned above.

</pre>
<pre wrap="">5) what is to be done if there are a different number of layers in the
two boards, abort the merge?
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->Offhand I would say abort the merge, because I don't believe you could
panelize boards with different numbers of of layers anyhow. Alternately
maybe we could pop up a message box warning the user and asking what to
do.
</pre>
<tt>I would take a simplistic, more general aproach: just import it as
is, if it makes sense to the user, let it be...<br>
</tt>
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">6) should it still be possible to reload the netlist of either board
after the merge?
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->If the new board is loaded as a new board object, then reloading the
netlist for each board independently should not be a problem. If that
is too much of a problem then I would say it should not be possible to
reload the netlist after appending a board.
</pre>
I understand that this is an "undefined operatio, your milage may vary"
wich probably means that it will produce nonsense. There is noting that
can be done it you have more than one component with the same name...<br>
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">Sorry, I tried to help but my original email was not responded to in
sufficient detail. Perhaps someone who has a use for this feature can
do the work.
</pre>
<tt>BTW, could you explain just in simple words, how you cope with the
multiplr name problem?.<br>
I hope that another opinion just helps mor than confises the matter ;)<br>
Alain<br>
</tt><br>
 --------------080903080802020401030001--