Re: New zoom code musings.

Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :

> jean-pierre. charras@inpg. fr <mailto:jean-pierre.charras%40inpg.fr>
> wrote:
> > Guys, how about this:
> >
> > 1 - Until now zoom levels were 1, 2 ... 2048.
> > 2 - many user want intermediate values.
> > 3 - Wayne enhanced the zoom code to allow these intermediate levels.
> > 4 - A kicad release candidate is coming soon, ans doc update, the best
> > is do not make large changes about zoom.
> >
> > So (before having a better way to handle zoom level, like user
> selection
> > values, or zoom step adjust) a reasonnable way is :
> > use the old values and add an intermediate value (something like 1,
> 1.5,
> > 2, 3, 4 , 6, 8...in old values, and in new values: 10, 15, .. 20480)
> > Because i had a *lot* of problems due to integers overflows in graphic
> > libraries, no zoom less than 1 (or 10 in new values),
> > because i am afraid these problems still exists in 2009.
> >
> > After the stable version, a better way to handle zoom values can be
> > tried, tested and refined.
> > But for now, I am thinking last changes commited were not refined or
> > fully tested.
> > As an example, last updates made changes zoom level values, but they
> > were not fully tested ( and commited some days before the next release)
> > because the popup menu does not show all values, and therefore the
> > user cannot select all zoom values. This is not very good (and could be
> > sound like a bug).
>
> This is not a bug. This is by design.

Yes, i saw it in sources.

> The goal was to prevent the zoom
> popup submenu from becoming too large. I actually think fifteen entries
> is too many but I saw this situation coming so I made it as large as I
> thought was reasonable.

This is very reasonnable.

> If you want to add more zoom values to the zoom
> submenu, in the header file id.h change the number 15 in the line
>
> ID_POPUP_ZOOM_ LEVEL_END = ID_POPUP_ZOOM_ LEVEL_START + 15,
>
> to however many zoom levels you want to display in the popup menu.

Yes i saw it, and changed it on my computer (to show 17 or 18 values) .

> Wayne

Wayne, thanks for your valuable work about kicad.
Anf i hurted you, i apologize, but keep in mind english is not my mother
tongue, so this is not easy for me to say exactly what i have in mind.

My goal was only to say:
1 - For now: choose a reasonnable list of values to extend the existing
zoom values, and keep the existing values,
and uses a limited number of value: 16 or 17 in pcbnew and 15 in
eeschema is enought), compatible with the current code.
So current doc does not need a new update (i just finished some
updates).
2 - After the stable release thinking about a more powerfull way to
handle more zoom values (and allows user selectable values).
something like : allows a user selectable zoom step change (like
many others programs) and find how to handle more values in popup and
toolbar
(15 values nearest the current, or a selection of values or an
other way ... to be tested).
But this cannot be made now.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

Maître de conférences
Directeur d'études 2ieme année.
Génie Electrique et Informatique Industrielle 2
Institut Universitaire de Technologie 1 de Grenoble
BP 67, 38402 St Martin d'Heres Cedex

Recherche :
GIPSA-LIS - INPG
Rue de la Houille Blanche
38400 Saint Martin d'Heres

 --------------010901090607010201020404 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Wayne Stambaugh a &eacute;crit&nbsp;:
content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
href="mailto:jean-pierre.charras%40inpg.fr";>jean-pierre. charras@inpg.
fr</a> wrote:<br>
&gt; Guys, how about this:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 1 - Until now zoom levels were 1, 2 ... 2048.<br>
&gt; 2 - many user want intermediate values.<br>
&gt; 3 - Wayne enhanced the zoom code to allow these intermediate
levels.<br>
&gt; 4 - A kicad release candidate is coming soon, ans doc update, the
best <br>
&gt; is do not make large changes about zoom.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So (before having a better way to handle zoom level, like user
selection <br>
&gt; values, or zoom step adjust) a reasonnable way is :<br>
&gt; use the old values and add an intermediate value (something like
1, 1.5, <br>
&gt; 2, 3, 4 , 6, 8...in old values, and in new values: 10, 15, ..
20480)<br>
&gt; Because i had a *lot* of problems due to integers overflows in
graphic <br>
&gt; libraries, no zoom less than 1 (or 10 in new values),<br>
&gt; because i am afraid these problems still exists in 2009.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; After the stable version, a better way to handle zoom values can
be <br>
&gt; tried, tested and refined.<br>
&gt; But for now, I am thinking last changes commited were not refined
or <br>
&gt; fully tested.<br>
&gt; As an example, last updates made changes zoom level values, but
they <br>
&gt; were not fully tested ( and commited some days before the next
release)<br>
&gt; because the popup menu does not show all values, and therefore the
&gt; user cannot select all zoom values. This is not very good (and
could be <br>
&gt; sound like a bug).<br>
This is not a bug. This is by design.</p>
Yes, i saw it in sources.<br>
popup submenu from becoming too large. I actually think fifteen entries<br>
is too many but I saw this situation coming so I made it as large as I<br>
thought was reasonable. </p>
This is very reasonnable.<br>
submenu, in the header file id.h change the number 15 in the line<br>
ID_POPUP_ZOOM_ LEVEL_END = ID_POPUP_ZOOM_ LEVEL_START + 15,<br>
to however many zoom levels you want to display in the popup menu.<br>
Yes i saw it, and changed it on my computer (to show 17 or 18 values) .<br>
Wayne, thanks for your valuable work about kicad.<br>
Anf i hurted you, i apologize, but keep in mind english is not my
mother tongue, so this is not easy for me to say exactly what i have in
mind.<br>
My goal was only to say:<br>
&nbsp;1 - For now: choose a reasonnable list of values to extend the
existing zoom values, and keep the existing values,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and uses a limited number of value: 16 or 17 in pcbnew and 15
in eeschema is enought), compatible with the current code.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; So current doc does not need a new update (i just finished some
updates).<br>
&nbsp;2 - After the stable release thinking about a more powerfull way to
handle more zoom values (and allows user selectable values).<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; something like : allows a user selectable zoom step change (like
many others programs) and find how to handle more values in popup and
toolbar<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (15 values nearest the current, or a selection of values or an
other way ... to be tested).<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; But this cannot be made now.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

Ma&icirc;tre de conf&eacute;rences
Directeur d'&eacute;tudes 2ieme ann&eacute;e.
G&eacute;nie Electrique et Informatique Industrielle 2
Institut Universitaire de Technologie 1 de Grenoble
BP 67, 38402 St Martin d'Heres Cedex

Recherche :
GIPSA-LIS - INPG
Rue de la Houille Blanche