Re: New zoom code musings.

jean-pierre.charras@... wrote:
> Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
>>
>> jean-pierre. charras@inpg. fr <mailto:jean-pierre.charras%40inpg.fr>
>> wrote:
>> > Guys, how about this:
>> >
>> > 1 - Until now zoom levels were 1, 2 ... 2048.
>> > 2 - many user want intermediate values.
>> > 3 - Wayne enhanced the zoom code to allow these intermediate levels.
>> > 4 - A kicad release candidate is coming soon, ans doc update, the best
>> > is do not make large changes about zoom.
>> >
>> > So (before having a better way to handle zoom level, like user
>> selection
>> > values, or zoom step adjust) a reasonnable way is :
>> > use the old values and add an intermediate value (something like 1,
>> 1.5,
>> > 2, 3, 4 , 6, 8...in old values, and in new values: 10, 15, .. 20480)
>> > Because i had a *lot* of problems due to integers overflows in graphic
>> > libraries, no zoom less than 1 (or 10 in new values),
>> > because i am afraid these problems still exists in 2009.
>> >
>> > After the stable version, a better way to handle zoom values can be
>> > tried, tested and refined.
>> > But for now, I am thinking last changes commited were not refined or
>> > fully tested.
>> > As an example, last updates made changes zoom level values, but they
>> > were not fully tested ( and commited some days before the next release)
>> > because the popup menu does not show all values, and therefore the
>> > user cannot select all zoom values. This is not very good (and could be
>> > sound like a bug).
>>
>> This is not a bug. This is by design.
>>
> Yes, i saw it in sources.
>>
>> The goal was to prevent the zoom
>> popup submenu from becoming too large. I actually think fifteen entries
>> is too many but I saw this situation coming so I made it as large as I
>> thought was reasonable.
>>
> This is very reasonnable.
>>
>> If you want to add more zoom values to the zoom
>> submenu, in the header file id.h change the number 15 in the line
>>
>> ID_POPUP_ZOOM_ LEVEL_END = ID_POPUP_ZOOM_ LEVEL_START + 15,
>>
>> to however many zoom levels you want to display in the popup menu.
>>

> Yes i saw it, and changed it on my computer (to show 17 or 18 values) .
>>
>> Wayne
>>
> Wayne, thanks for your valuable work about kicad.

Your welcome. Thanks for allowing me to part of the project. As a
Kicad user myself, it is nice to be able to contribute. I will continue
to do so as time permits.

> Anf i hurted you, i apologize, but keep in mind english is not my mother
> tongue, so this is not easy for me to say exactly what i have in mind.

You did not hurt my feelings at all. I understood what you were trying
to say.

> My goal was only to say:
> 1 - For now: choose a reasonnable list of values to extend the existing
> zoom values, and keep the existing values,
> and uses a limited number of value: 16 or 17 in pcbnew and 15 in
> eeschema is enought), compatible with the current code.
> So current doc does not need a new update (i just finished some
> updates).
> 2 - After the stable release thinking about a more powerfull way to
> handle more zoom values (and allows user selectable values).
> something like : allows a user selectable zoom step change (like
> many others programs) and find how to handle more values in popup and
> toolbar
> (15 values nearest the current, or a selection of values or an
> other way ... to be tested).
> But this cannot be made now.

I agree. I have some other ideas (which I have mentioned here before)
on how to handle zooming that I will explore after the next release.

Wayne