Re: Kicad preference questions

On 05/11/2012 08:13 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 07:49:54AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>> I should also mention that ALL parts are always in the parts list with the new design.  So
>> the need to move parts from one library to another is significantly reduced.  But I agree
>> that the problem you mention needs to be addressed.   I think this can be done with search
>> and replace on the parts_list.  There will be no need to do this on the schematic
>> component per se, since they are only references into the parts list.
> Libraries are an useful convention... however if some tagging is
> employed even a common list is useful anyway. I don't actually use the
> library browser a lot, I usually pick the part by name.
>
> Anyway, without libraries how do you handle bulk part import/export? Or
> you simply merge all the files in a single list?

The latter.  SWEET has inheritance.  The parts_list has something like this: (mynewpart
extends LPID [....] ) for each part.

To parse this, the part referenced by LPID gets copied into the current environment, and
we can save it in the parts list if we want, essentially making the schematic
autonomous.   The parts_list is IN the schematic.

The parts_list IS a library, both for current schematic especially, and for others on a
read only basis.

So you can have empty schematics which exist only to hold parts_lists as your library
management scheme.  But there is no versioning in a parts_list library.  So if you want
that, use a dir lib_source or http lib_source.

Dick