Re: Revisiting the Git decision - document git-bzr bridge!

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Blair Bonnett wrote:
Hi Jake,

I think Brian was referring to the GitHub mirror workflow that has been discussed in this thread in the last 24 hours. The following messages are the key ones in this workflow
discussion:

1: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg12148.html
2: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg12159.html
3: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg12160.html
4: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg12161.html

In fact, Henner has already submitted two patches to this mailing list based on this workflow, so it seems to be quite usable in practice.

I guess we could document this workflow on the KiCad website, say under the KiCad development page ( http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/DEV/KiCad+Development ;). Maybe once the
core developers have given their blessing that it works from their side as well?

Regards,
Blair

Thank you Blair, this is a fine solution for me. I wish I had known about this all along and there would have been no need for me to take up all this space about the issue!

In my opinion this git mirror, along with build instructions (which may be as simple as "use scripts/kicad-install.sh instead of make install") should be front and center on the pages where developers might end up.

This may also apply, but i'm not sure exactly how yet: (thanks Povilas) https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/wiki

right now when i google for "download kicad" the first link is this:
http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/Download+Kicad

which is an empty page that says only "Page moved to _here_"
which is a link to:
http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/Download

The option for "KiCad source code" and "KiCad bleeding edge version" both link to here:
https://launchpad.net/kicad

and on that page, a developer wishing to help would probably click on
"Code repository (contributions are welcome):"
https://code.launchpad.net/kicad

and I think this would be a good place to put help for people who only know git, such as a note about the github mirror (and yet another link)

of course the link you mentioned:
http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/DEV/KiCad+Development

is the place where developers wanting to help SHOULD be clicking, but they could end up at either place depending on how they search for stuff.

Thank you for the github mirror, i look forward to using it to help out!

-jake