Re: fp-lib-tables UI question

I'm not sure, Bob.  I was trying to make this thread be about a UI change
to the library manager window.  However, I'm a little too tired to be a
stickler about it, and I have buy-in from Wayne and no screams of bloody
murder from anyone else, so...

If you want to build your own stuff on OS X, and you need to change the
environment variables, I suggest you change them Info.plist inside the
bundle.  Then you can double-click on the icon and it works fine, as well
as using "open blah.app" from the terminal.  There are details on this in
the archives from the last six months, I think between me and Bernhard.  If
you can't find them, let me know on-list and I can dig them up.

Wayne is working on a more user-friendly setup shortly, so maybe you can
just let time pass and the problem will solve itself--or...

Please let me reiterate:

There is nothing magical about KISYSMOD.

There is nothing wrong with editing your fp-lib-table so that there are no
environment variables in them whatsoever.  If you are being stymied by
environment variables in Kicad... you can just ignore them!  Put full paths
in your fp-lib-table and ignore everyone on the list talking about
environment variables.

If I had a time machine, the first thing I would do is go to the REM Green
Tour.  The second thing I would do is go to when the devs were discussing
the environment variables for fp-lib-table, and show them evidence of how
confusing this is to users without getting busted by the Time Police.

I don't fault the devs for fixing the bug this way.  The devs had recently
been bitten by a truly nasty search path issue, and were trying to figure a
good way out of it.

Personally, I think Wayne's path manager is the next step in making
fp-lib-table that shines as much from the user and packager side as it does
from the developer side.

I only truly got what fp-lib-table and the environment variables were doing
sometime in the last six months, and I know users who love Kicad who keep a
version around from before fp-lib-table just because they find it too
confusing.

Adam Wolf
Cofounder and Engineer
Wayne and Layne, LLC