Re: Announcing work on providing windows nightlies

On 3/12/2015 5:48 PM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Do you have a link to the report? I can't find it in the open issues
>>> at Alexpux/MINGW-packages on github.
>>
>> I filed it on the old SourceForge bug tracker here:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/tickets/138
>
> Nick, thank-you for posting this to the list!
>
> Wayne,
>
> Thanks for the confirmation. I was bit by this last night while trying
> to test the KiCad-Winbuilder stuff. I soon realised that it was doomed
> after the wxWidgets-3 push. Hopefully they'll get it sorted out pretty
> quickly.

I just upgraded this morning and the -5 build of wxWidgets has already
been released.  I'll give the msys2 folks credit, they get things fixed
very quickly given the size and scope of the project.

> Thanks for reporting the bug, looks like they're getting on with it
> pretty quickly.
>
> This is exactly why it makes sense for us to use the pacman stuff to
> build with; Because it's one build system that we're all trying to
> support. Plus, it means no more maintenance of external projects like
> wxwidgets-cmake, etc. for me! Phew!

I really am impressed by what the msys2 project has accomplished.  It
certainly makes life easier building KiCad on windows.  There already is
a PKGBUILD file for kicad which I created for the msys2 project.  It
should be as simple as running a nightly build using makepkg-mingw.
Unfortunately, it's an all in one package which includes the docs and
libraries so it's rather larger.  The msys2 folks seemed to prefer that
I package kicad that way so I didn't argue with them about it.  For our
purposes, we could split the package any way we prefer.