Re: UPDATE: Diode pins swapped in KiCad Libraries

On Apr 24, 2015, at 2:31 PM, Carl Poirier <carl.poirier.2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thiadmer, your proposal would require to duplicate every .pretty
repository for every stable release.
> And I believe the schematics won't change because of the cache.

I have regularly had to fix schematics after updating KiCad (due to changed
symbols). My impression is that eeschema updates the cache from the
library. So if the symbol is updated in the library, it will be re-cached.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Samuel Dolt <samuel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> We can also put version number in library and footprint like gEDA do.
> This way, Kicad can update symbol when minor change happen and use cache
> when major change occur.

This is a great idea. It allows the designer to selectively update to newer
versions of symbols or footprints.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Adam Wolf <adamwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I have had multiple people contact me today saying, "Why would I ever use
KiCad's libraries again?"

I advise users of whatever EDA suite to collect symbols and footprints that
they rely on, into a local library, and to put that library in version
control. When working on a new project, you can the global libraries for
symbols and footprints that you lack (in your local copy) and whether there
are updates to the ones you already have.

On Apr 24, 2015, at 4:34 PM, Carl Poirier <carl.poirier.2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...] Kerusey Karyu warned people one month ago on the mailing list
<https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg17476.html> that we were
in the process of moving things around.
> No one complained. Now why when we take action people wake up all of a
sudden?

I understand that when you are using a nighly build, you can expect
disruptive changes. This, however, is a change that would make the next
stable release "break" designs from the former stable release. In addition,
there are more users of KiCad than there are developers of KiCad, and the
users may not follow the developers' mailing list.