Re: Via Stitching

Hi Wayne,

OK, I explain inside your text.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:09 PM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Heikki,
>
> What is the purpose of the "stitch" token added to the file format?
> Vias already have a netcode field so adding "stitch" to the file format
> seems to serve no purpose.
>
> It is there because there is some cases when that "stitch" via lose it's
netcode when opening board. If via was stitch when saved, then it's stitch
code would be saved netcode and board is what it was when saved.

> I would prefer that you avoid the term stitching.  Vias could just as
> easily be thermal vias.  I don't think the generic term via is going to
> confuse anyone.  I would think most users placing vias for purposes
> other than trace routing understand the purpose of the vias.
>
> I agree that. That is better term of them. I change code so that I use
thermal instead stitch and user point of view these are just vias.

> You are still automatically assigning via netcodes based on placement.
> We agreed (at least I thought we did) that this assumption is dangerous
> and that the user should be selecting the net assignment.  I'm OK if you
> suggest to the user the best netcode based on the via placement position
> but under no circumstance should the code be selecting the via netcode.
>
> It seems, that code is automatically assigning netcode, but it is users
decide. When user selects connected layer pair and what layer is main
connected layer, not even have to select that last one, user selects
netcode in that main connected layer copper pours netcode. And you see
instantly what you get. if there is no pour in main selected layer in that
point, then you don't get any via. Simple.

As a user I know what copper pours I want to connect together. And I know
what these pours netcodes are. It is faster just pressing a button, than
selecting every time netcode where connect. And if there is no pour to
connect in that netcode you selected, it is just one unconnected via or it
may have connected.

I think that there is no need to make any selection box of that.

> There is some work currently going on with to fix some of the issues
> with the connection algorithm that may conflict with your code.  Please
> make sure you check with the folks that are working on this code.  If
> you are working on the connection algorithm, please let Heikki know so
> that we can avoid any conflicts.
>
> OK, wait that.

> Please configure your editor so that it doesn't leave trailing white
> space all over the source files.  Your patch contains a bunch of it
>

> Cheers,
>
> Wayne

Who can tell me what to do with those trailing white spaces. I use KDevelop.

Cheers
Heikki