Re: [RFC] BOM Editor

Hello, Thiadmer!

On 2017-02-14 22:03, Thiadmer Riemersma wrote:
> >  Why not have one _database_ in between schematic and layout and manufacturing, assembly (and ERP and ...) and the tools just pick what they need?
>
> I agree that this is the better option. But it is also an ambitious project.

Thanks. Sure, that it's a big task to do. The idea behind posting all these ideas about interfaces and possible (not so far) future rocket-science design methodoliogies (blah) is that we should consider these "advanced" use cases when developing new features for KiCAD. New features and tools should at least not be a hard-coded solution for one man on one island using each separate code and different interfaces.

I believe that an "generic" (database-) storage backend inside of KiCAD might help a lot to unify the tools and features
people might want to add to it. Cirilo's plugin API seems heading to the right direction here. Having stand-alone tool is okay, as long as they can sync with pcbnew, eeschema,... on-the-fly.

> For example, for machine assembly, the global database must also hold feeder
> details (tape/tube/tray, step size, reel size), orientation in the packaging,
> component height, best nozzle to use to pick it up, and probably other parameters
> that I am forgetting right now.

The very good thing about databases is that they can be extended easily without affecting the interfaces to the outside world. Assembly data as you mention can be fed back to the database as well and the next BOM gets up-to-date information basically for free.

Even if the assembly house database is usually not the design database, it's easy to join them together once properly setup. I.e. one of my assembly house runs SAP, the other is still spreadsheet based. With a bit of glue logic in between, we can sync the assembly data them back into my design database and tell them upfront what has changed and were they need to put an eye on for the next design.

Regards,

Clemens