Re: New feature notifications

On 11/22/2017 03:55 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 11/22/2017 08:55 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
>> On 11/22/2017 02:48 PM, Marco Ciampa wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Please please please,
>>>
>>> when some new feature is accepted (code merged in master branch), either
>>> write it in the dev (master) branch of the documentation or somewhere to
>>> enable doc writers to describe the new feature... (wiki? txt in the
>>> source code? Bug Report?)
>>>
>>> I think that a simple description in a bug report is the easiest way to
>>> assure that new features get correctly described in the docs.
>>> Parsing dev ml messages for these "hints" is IMHO unmanageable...
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> I thought we are supposed to use tags in commit messages (NEW, CHANGE)
>> [1]. I can create a bug report in the documentation repository, if this
>> is the preferred way. If so, then I suppose it should be made a policy.
>
> You are and you did.  Nice job!  The real question is how does this
> information make it from the source repo commit messages to doc devs so
> the docs can be updated accordingly?

For example:

  git log --grep="CHANGE[D]\?:\|REMOVE[D]\?:\|NEW:"

I can turn it into an alias and add it to the same files that handles
'git fixes' command. You can also extend the query with a date or a
commit hash. This way, once you enable the git alias configuration you
may type:

  git changelog --since="1 Jan 2017"

or

  git changelog 527c6f001