Re: [RFC] Symbol library file format

Hi Mario,

On 1/4/19 10:53 AM, Mário Luzeiro wrote:
>> Now if you create a unique part number for every
>> resistance value, tolerance, temperature coefficient, manufacturer, etc.
>> that would be tens if not hundreds of thousands of unique part numbers.
>
> I know my intervention may be a bit offtopic, but it may add some other elements to discussion:
>
> On such case of the 3D variants, it could be considered a 3D parametric generation but KiCad would need to support it internally somehow.
> Since a 3D file is only need at export time (eg: when user exports the project to STEP) or for 3D Viewer proposes ( generated on the fly ), there was no need to storage any 3D data for share a project as it will always be generated by KiCad.
>
> Parametric / procedural generation is the easiest part:
> https://github.com/KammutierSpule/kicad3Dmodels
>
> Mario Luzeiro

This is an interesting idea but I'm not sure I want kicad to be a
parametric 3D model generator.  I think this is best left to tools that
are specialized for this purpose such as FreeCAD.  Although this could
be scripted using python since a lot of this work is already done.  This
is a discussion after v6.

Cheers,