Re: KiCad Snapshot version with enabled GTK+3 and wxPython4.0 scripting in Debian experimental

Hi Wayne,

Am 15.01.19 um 00:28 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>> I'm a bit supersized that there is no plan to configure the current
>> KiCad development version at least with GTK+3 backend as default given
>> the original plan to eventually have a RC ready before or around Fosdem
>> and 5.1 should support GTK+3 fully.
>
> Making Phoenix and python 3 the default option will cause problems on
> windows builds because there is no msys package for Phoenix.  The
> Phoenix project in it's infinite wisdom ignores forcing the compiler to
> gcc on windows so it will require a patch to make this work like it did
> in wxPython.

that's a valid point, unfortunately. Agreed. (I'm happy I only need to
work with that professional OS on my dayjob.:-) )

>  I suppose we make this the default on linux.

Yes, I really like to suggest this.

> Is it the policy of Debian to specify default options for documentation
> purposes?

No, there is no such rule in Debian about this, it's up to the
maintainers how they organize the package built. But documentation and
readability is a good point why the rules file looks like this.

>  You have a lot of defaults redefined.  I build KiCad on my
> Debian testing box using:
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DKICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
> -DKICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON ~/src/kicad-trunk/
>
> All of the other options are enabled by default.

[offtopic]
I have seen some sane projects in the past years that have chosen to
switch there defaults even within a stable release circle, I think it
was Samba that was given me a lot of joy because they not only switched
the behavior of an option but also did have make a difference if this
option was not explicitly written.
[/offtopic]

After some experiences in all the years I enjoy one of the zen [1]
principles of Python here, "Explicit is better than implicit."
A other positive effect is that not only me can see what I want to
archive here.

I'm aware that the KiCad developer know their build environment from
inside and also outside best, I'm not and I also work on some other
projects and do some packaging work. So that's the hopefully simple
reason why we do that kind of configuration of the kicad package.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_of_Python

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert