Re: KiCad Snapshot version with enabled GTK+3 and wxPython4.0 scripting in Debian experimental

Hey Carsten,

On 1/15/2019 2:18 AM, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> Am 15.01.19 um 00:28 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>>> I'm a bit supersized that there is no plan to configure the current
>>> KiCad development version at least with GTK+3 backend as default given
>>> the original plan to eventually have a RC ready before or around Fosdem
>>> and 5.1 should support GTK+3 fully.
>>
>> Making Phoenix and python 3 the default option will cause problems on
>> windows builds because there is no msys package for Phoenix.  The
>> Phoenix project in it's infinite wisdom ignores forcing the compiler to
>> gcc on windows so it will require a patch to make this work like it did
>> in wxPython.
>
> that's a valid point, unfortunately. Agreed. (I'm happy I only need to
> work with that professional OS on my dayjob.:-) )

Me too!  I guess I'm going to have to fix the phoenix build scripts so
that we can have phoenix/python 3 support on windows.  I'm more upset
with the wxPython folks for breaking this than I am at windows in
general.  This one falls squarely on their shoulders.

>>  I suppose we make this the default on linux.
>
> Yes, I really like to suggest this.

I'll take a look at it as soon as I get a chance.  It may not happen
until after FOSDEM.  I have to finish up and prepare for my presentation.

>> Is it the policy of Debian to specify default options for documentation
>> purposes?
>
> No, there is no such rule in Debian about this, it's up to the
> maintainers how they organize the package built. But documentation and
> readability is a good point why the rules file looks like this.
>
>>  You have a lot of defaults redefined.  I build KiCad on my
>> Debian testing box using:
>>
>> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DKICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
>> -DKICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON ~/src/kicad-trunk/
>>
>> All of the other options are enabled by default.
>
> [offtopic]
> I have seen some sane projects in the past years that have chosen to
> switch there defaults even within a stable release circle, I think it
> was Samba that was given me a lot of joy because they not only switched
> the behavior of an option but also did have make a difference if this
> option was not explicitly written.
> [/offtopic]

I would not do this in the 5.0 branch.  The development branch is a
different story.