Re: Ratsnest options

On 14.06.2019 2:06, Reece R. Pollack wrote:
Jon,

May I suggest making the net and net class listings two different tabs? I'd rather not have to scroll past a few hundred nets to get to the net class listing. Or two scroll areas on the same tab, though I think separate tabs would be better.
Or, possibly, represent list as a tree view (classes->nets) with ability to expand/collapse every netclass?

Are nets hierarchical by the time they get to Pcbnew, or have they been flattened to a single namespace?

-Reece

On 6/13/19 4:05 PM, Jon Evans wrote:
I will let you know once it's a bit farther along. There will be a live filter (fuzzy matching) to make it easier to find things.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:04 PM Reece Pollack <reece@xxxxxxx <mailto:reece@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Jon, that looks great!

    How well does that model work when there are hundreds of nets rather than six?

    -Reece

    *From: *"Jon Evans" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
    *To: *"reece" <reece@xxxxxxx <mailto:reece@xxxxxxx>>
    *Cc: *"KiCad Developers" <kicad-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:kicad-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
    *Sent: *Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:07:07 PM
    *Subject: *Re: [Kicad-developers] Ratsnest options

    It's coming, Reece!
    (obvious disclaimer: this is a mockup and doesn't represent final UI, etc etc)
    image.png

    On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:03 PM Reece Pollack <reece@xxxxxxx
    <mailto:reece@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

        For myself, I see no value to having the Ratsnest on/off in the View
        menu or in Preferences. Having it in the left toolbar as well as the
        Layers widget is duplicative but convenient.

        What would seriously reduce my use of the Ratsnest show/hide function
        is the ability to limit what nets appear in the ratsnest. I'd guess
        about 1/4th to 1/3rd of the ratsnest in my designs is GND. These
        eventually get connected to internal planes through vias, and seeing
        these airwires all over the place is just visual noise. Other big
        offenders are the various power nets (+3V3, +1V2, etc.) which I'd
        often prefer to hide. Eagle supports showing/hiding nets by name via
        the command line, and KiCad needs a similar capability. I seem to
        recall this being on the roadmap though I could be mistaken.

        Thinking it through a bit more, it might be more valuable to allow
        hiding/showing by net class rather than by name. This would make it
        easier to navigate in a GUI as there would be fewer net classes than
        nets, and this would group similar nets together.

        -Reece