Re: Contributing Python to KiCad

Mitja,

Thanks for expressing interest, and I would just like to say that you do
not have to be a C++ developer to contribute to KiCad. There is a healthy
Python presence in both the core codebase (the footprint generators and BoM
scripts) as well as the library management systems (symbol/footprint
generators, testing scripts, etc.). Working on these also doesn't require
recompiling the entire KiCad code base to test/develop.

If you would like to contribute, take a look at the open bug reports in
Launchpad tagged with python [1]. Some of them are for the actual
interface, but there are a few that are actually in the scripts themselves
[2], [3]. You could also look through the open issues/PRs for the library
utilities [4] to see if anything interests you.

There is also going to be an effort in v6 to clean up/improve the Pcbnew
Python interface and hopefully add one to Eeschema as well. This hasn't
been started yet, but when it is the input of Python programmers (and
people who have developed action plugins) would be really appreciated.

-Ian

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bugs?field.tag=python
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1848472
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1849961