Re: What does /path do in PCBNew files?

 I've find the copy-paste functionality only useful for penalization of designs if you make the PCB's at home.
As both of you found out for replicating parts of repetitive layout, layout and schematics have to be in sync. And I don't see a way how one could copy-paste layout and then back annotate the changes back to schematics. How would the tool know where to place new schematics elements?
I also think that this is an awkward workflow. The designer usually knows already when doing the schematics that some parts will be duplicated. So you put those parts into hierarchical subsheet, and then you put multiple sheets pointing to the same schematics. But in this case you already have all the footprints in layout (of the original part of the layout and of the parts one intends for replication) and it does not make sense to copy-paste.
At this point I'll make a shameless plug for my Replicate layout action plugin (https://github.com/MitjaNemec/Kicad_action_plugins#replicate-layout).

You can easily replicate parts of the layout between same hierarchical sheets.
And if you feel like it it might serve as a source of inspiration if somebody wants to implement this in KiCad internally.
Best regards