Re: Was the initial graphics mode screen removed?

On 11/01/2022 22:45, pmx wrote:

From my previous tests (Kicad 5.99), I can say that any speed bottleneck is likely NOT in the rendering engine, but in the rest of the code. I can't count how many Boost:: containers are scanned, and even temporarily created and deleted, when you play with the graphics elements in the schematics !
(The 3D viewer is a different matter).

Dear pmx,

The biggest performance hog is zone fill rendering and triangulation which unfortunately has to be done on the CPU because (mostly for Linux and older Intel chipset users) we use a very old OpenGL 2.1 version.

Also lack of geometry shaders causes a huge PCI bandwidth overhead (each track segment is 2 triangles + attributes, sent from the CPU).

There's a LOT of room for improvement just by using more modern GPU features (and by modern I mean from 2012).

Tom