kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Problems to build (Polish/Japanese EEschema) documentation since commit a5002028

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 09:57:07PM +0100, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Am 21.03.19 um 21:42 schrieb Eugene Kilachkoff:
> > Why you keep saying this is an asciidoc problem? To me it is cmake
> > generating wrong build scripts....
>
> I'm just convinced if it turn out it is really a CMake issue.
> On the other hand asciidoc is Python2 and has some nasty downsides, as
> seen with the Japanese characters that are not correctly parsed.
>
> The more or less successor is asciidoctor which is written Ruby, a
> really common language in website development in recent days. It will do
> better job here I guess.
>
> > Might be still worth investigating, we could find something interesting
> > inside :)
>
> The days of Python2 are mostly gone. You will need to move over to
> Python3 or some other language. $(someone) just needs to start this.

I add my 2 cents.

1) I preserved my make scripts (in /kicad-doc/utils/old-build-scripts)
because I did not trust the cmake scripts that I do not understand, now
sadly it turns out that I was right... we _must_ fix the cmake scripts or
use another tool, this situation is not acceptable. Unfortunately I do
not know how cmake works, beside, as cmake scripts _are_ software, some
docs on those shouldn't hurt us...

2) asciidoc _is_ migrating to python 3 (there is already a port under
test but as far as I know it is working well...) so some UTF-8 problems
should be a thing of the past in the near future.

3) unfortunately asciidoctor is not addressing some i18n issues, like,
for example i18n for dates/tocs/references ... see for example this:

http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/5.1.0/it/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.html

look at the toc title in the upper right corner, and it is the same for
pdf, epub etc.

I think they are trying to look for the "perfect method" but meanwhile
time passes and this "right way to do the things" is not popping up...
:-( I would have preferred an imperfect temporary solution for the time
being but the asciidoctor developers are not listening...

The way the old asciidoc is handling this is IMHO ... working (one .conf
file for language so anybody can supply its language version... BTW I
posted a bug some months ago for chinese translators to check it for
correctness and to ask for inclusion of their nationalized conf file to
the asciidoc devs ... will you (chinese translators) please do this for
me? I do not write chinese, you see...

--

Marco Ciampa

 GNU/Linux User #78271