Re: How do I fix mailing lists?

Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> I'm not sure what "move archives afterward" means in this context.
>>
>> In the risk that they are mistaken and later decide to host their list
>> elsewhere.
>
> Gotcha.  In that case, we can always hand them the .mbox file.  It's a
> LOSA request, but easily fulfilled.

The important thing is redirecting from the old archives to the new
archives (so that old links still "work").

There could easily be a "This list has moved" button, that anyone with
admin privs on the list could use.  Barry, does that sound sane enough
to file a bug for?  (And then I'd solicit on launchpad-dev@ to see if
anyone wants to try it, as it's probably not that hard, right?)

What I'm envisioning is an Ajaxy window popping up and offering two
choices:

  - When someone tries to visit a message in this archive, show a page
    telling them where the list lives now, or

  - When someone tries to visit a message in this archive, redirect to
    the same message or thread number, but under this new URL: [    ]

-K