Re: How do I fix mailing lists?

On Aug 11, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Karl Fogel wrote:

The important thing is redirecting from the old archives to the new
archives (so that old links still "work").

There could easily be a "This list has moved" button, that anyone with
admin privs on the list could use.  Barry, does that sound sane enough
to file a bug for?  (And then I'd solicit on launchpad-dev@ to see if
anyone wants to try it, as it's probably not that hard, right?)

What I'm envisioning is an Ajaxy window popping up and offering two
choices:

 - When someone tries to visit a message in this archive, show a page
   telling them where the list lives now, or

 - When someone tries to visit a message in this archive, redirect to
   the same message or thread number, but under this new URL: [    ]

The latter will be difficult. Contrary to popular belief, MHonArc doesn't have guaranteed stable urls. It's close though, and certainly closer than Pipermail. MHonArc maintains a mapping from Message-ID to url so as long as that database file is maintained, the regenerated archives will have the same url. There's no such guarantee if the archives are regenerated on a different host -- in that case I think you'll have no clue where the message ends up.

(Aside: I have a proposal to fix this for any archiver/mlm that supports RFC 5064. Mailman 3 will be the first mlm that I know of to support that, but as of yet, neither Pipermail nor MHonArc supports it.)

It's worse than that too, because you don't even know what archiver the new host would be using. There's no commonality between urls Pipermail and MHonArc generate for example.

But in any case, I agree that it would not be difficult to add a link pointing to the new archive's base url, which could just as well be user given. In that case, I think the team overview page should say something prominent in the 'Mailing List' section. There should be a big red blotch that says "This mailing list has moved here (offsite)" and keep the link to the legacy archive in Launchpad.

And yep, that should be a pretty easy bug to fix, so it would be neat if someone on launchpad-dev wants to take it on. Please do file a bug and I'll be happy to sponsor a community member to take this on.

-Barry