Re: Putting on-call reviewer in channel topic?

Curtis Hovey <curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 19:03 -0400, Karl Fogel wrote:
>> My guess is most people who use IRC know how to ignore the chatter
>> around them, when they're focused on a particular conversation.  Do we
>> have evidence or experience to suggest that doing reviews in the dev
>> channel was a real problem?  If we don't, I'd really like to try merging
>> it back into #launchpad-dev and seeing what happens.
>
> I think combining would be a mistake. This is the place to ask for a
> review and offer to do a review. Reviews are interactive and on demand.
> with 3 reviewers a a queue of 8 branches we need to keep the
> conversation focused, and we do.
>
> Note that the topic for the channel is a tool for us... who is
> reviewing, who is being reviewed, who is in the queue. The topic changes
> many times an hour.

I can see I'm losing the vote :-), but I still think it's a bad idea to
separate the most detailed development activity from the place where the
majority of developers hang out.

Is it really more important to have the current review in the channel
topic than to expose those developers whose code isn't being reviewed to
the review process?  The cost here isn't to the reviewers or the
reviewees; it's to everyone else.